Cannelloni stuffed with Spinach and Almonds
Serves: 4 - 6
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C, Gas mark 2.
2. Cook the cannelloni in boiling water until a little underdone. If using ready-to-use pasta, ignore this step. Put 1tsp butter in a large pan, melt and add the spinach. Cook fast, shaking the pan, until the spinach is half its bulk. This should take less than 3 minutes. If using frozen spinach, ignore this step.
Put the spinach into a bowl; add the almonds and remaining butter, the crème fraîche, seasoning and Gruyere cheese. Mix well.
3. Drain the cannelloni sheets. Lay a portion of the spinach mixture on a sheet and roll. Otherwise stuff the ready made tube with 1tbsp of the spinach mixture.
Continue filling and rolling, tucking the ends so they are underneath. Lightly grease a large shallow ovenproof dish with butter and lay the cannelloni in side by side, so they fit snugly.
4. Pour the single cream over, sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for 20 minutes.
5. The cannelloni should be heated through and the cheese melted. Sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds and serve piping hot.
12-16 sheets or tubes of cannelloni
900g leaf spinach or large pack frozen spinach
2tbsp Rachel’s lightly salted butter
225g ground almonds
2tbsp Rachel’s Organic crème fraîche or Greek style Natural yogurt
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup grated unprocessed Gruyere cheese
225ml single cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sprinkle of toasted flaked almonds (to garnish)